Are you planning to get a personal loan to fund your daughter’s wedding? You can consider getting it either through bank or NBFCs (non-banking financial institutions). Both these platforms offer personal loans at attractive interest rates. But before you apply for it, you must calculate your loan eligibility and EMIs in advance to plan your expenses wisely. Here a personal loan calculator can be best put to use.
A personal loan calculator is a useful online tool that enables you to plan how much money you should borrow as a loan based on your repayment capacity. By using this tool, you can also calculate the monthly loan EMIs and the interest rate that you would be paying to the bank/NBFC within a stipulated period of time to settle the loan. You can make as many searches you want using this tool with the different loan amount, loan term and interest rates to reach out the best loan scheme that matches your requirements and budget.
Here’s a complete list of what you CAN find and what you CANNOT find using the personal loan calculator.
Here’s what you CAN find using a personal loan calculator :-
- Whether you are eligible to apply for a loan or not.
- Your monthly loan EMIs payable during the tenure.
- The interest rate you would be paying on the loan (it varies across banks in India and also on your profile & the principal amount you are likely to borrow as loan).
- Amortization table displaying periodic loan payments along with the principal and the interest amount that comprise each payment till the time the loan is paid off at the end of its term.
Here’s what you CANNOT find using a personal loan calculator :-
- Whether your loan application will be approved or not.
Banks/NBFCs also provide a pre-payment facility for customers wherein they can pre-pay the loan amount at one go. It is a very useful window with which a customer can save a lot of money that is otherwise spent in paying higher interest (in unsecured loans) and continued EMIs throughout the loan tenure.
An online calculator comes to rescue to those loan applicants who wish to get a loan after proper planning and research. Getting a personal loan without considering your repayment capacity will result in increased EMIs that would disturb your finances in the long run. This is why you must instigate a thorough research on the list of personal loans offered by the banks and NBFCs.
In addition to this, you must also check out the interest rates offered by several banks on a personal loan, consider choosing your loan term wisely, and always borrow the amount that you can easily repay. A personal loan is one of the best solutions to meet immediate money requirements as it involves minimal documentation, quick money disbursal, and pre or part payment facility that will help you save big in the long run. So why wait! Apply for the loan today to meet unexpected money related problems.
An important point to note: A personal loan is an unsecured loan and that is why would involve higher interest rates as compared to other types of loans. So choose the lender that offers you loan at rates that suits your requirements. You must also improve your credit score to easily qualify for a personal loan. You can find personal loan calculators on the bank’s official website and also on the several third-party websites. However, to get the most accurate results, you must always use online calculator of the particular bank from where you are planning to get a loan.
If you are in dire need of money and are looking to get a secured personal loan quickly, there are not many places you can resort to. This is because firstly applying for a secured personal loan can never be quick. Secondly secured personal loans also require you to provide a collateral – may be a home or jewelry, that you may lose if you default on the loan. Moreover, if you don’t have an asset to provide it as collateral, or you don’t want to get loan against your asset and keep it on stake, you’re ultimately left with limited choices that include:-
Title loan companies: – These companies provide a secured personal loan by claiming the car that you own. They keep the label while you can keep using your car. Depending on the year of purchase, condition and the type of your car, the amount of loan is settled – which is typically not more than half the price of your vehicle with the interest rate being 25%. These loans are mandatory to be repaid within 30 days or it can also be renewed for an additional term by paying the fees. If the borrower fails to pay off the loan or renew it, the lender can reclaim the vehicle. If the borrower still fails to pay off the loan and other charges associated with it, the lender has full authority to sell the car to make up for the loan amount.
Pawn shops: They also provide short-term, secured personal loans against your property but at a high-interest rate and fees. To initiate the loan process, you will have to display property; a broker at the shop will then evaluate and fix the loan amount that you can get, but it will be less than the actual value of your property. It is not just the property, Pawn shops also offer loan against jewelry, electronic equipment, and small piece of equipment, musical instruments, even motor vehicle but you cannot use the asset till the time you settle up the loan amount in full. The tenure of personal loans offered by the pawn shops is not more than one month and if you do not repay the loan on time and the asset is still with the lender, the broker has full authority to sell the asset to extract the loan amount.
Check-cashing stores: These also offer secured personal loans but in a different way. Firstly they offer loan amount in cash or advance, secondly, you have to give the lender a check for the loan amount as a security along with the lender’s fees. Thirdly, the loans offered by these stores are not more than $500. The lender will keep your check with him/her till the time you pay off the loan or renew the loan term by paying the fees. If you do neither of these things, the lender will deposit your check in the bank to extract the loan amount. In case your cheque is bounced, you will have to pay more dues to the lender and the bank as well.
Conclusion: These secured personal loans are intended to provide immediate funds to those in urgent need of money at a higher interest rate. The short term secured loans offered by these companies can help you a lot if you use this amount for the right purpose and pay them off on time. One word of advice: Always do a thorough grounding, and make wise judgment when getting a loan from these lenders.
If you have already decided that you will be taking a personal loan, be very clear about the purpose you would be using the funds for. It might be anything from home renovation to debt consolidation. The purpose should be clear because a personal loan is not a cure to all your financial problems but just a financial tool. Here are five things you should know about or rather five questions you should have answers to before taking a personal loan:
1). Where and how should you apply for a personal loan?
There are a number of ways through which you can apply for a personal loan online, offline or by availing doorstep services. You can either directly apply to a bank or financial institution or seek help from a financial marketplace such as Paisabazaar to choose the best possible option. While taking a personal loan make sure that you take it from a registered bank or financial institution and not from any illegal moneylender, doing so may land you in trouble because of their unregulated charges, rates and practices. You can apply for a personal loan in as less a time as 10 seconds, provided you are eligible for the amount required. You can apply online through financial marketplaces, official websites of the bank or through netbanking. For the offline mode you can either opt for doorstep services or visit the branch personally to apply for a personal loan.
2). What is the amount that you can borrow through a personal loan?
The amount offered as personal loan depends upon your income and your liabilities. Before you apply for a loan amount, make sure that your DTI (Debt to Income ratio) is less than 60%. Ensuring this will help you get your loan application approved easily. Depending upon the policies of the bank or the financial institution the loan amount offered may vary from 3-15 times of your monthly income in general.
3). How can you save the payable interest amount on your personal loan?
The interest rate charged on your personal loan primarily depends upon three factors: loan amount, tenure opted for and your credit score. Your relationship with the bank may also fetch you lower rates at times. In order to keep the payable interest minimum, you must compare the schemes offered by various banks and then choose the most suitable option with reasonable interest rates. You must also decide the loan amount and tenure wisely to keep your interest rates to the optimum level.
4). What all documents are required to apply for a personal loan?
The documentation requirement may vary from bank to bank, however, in general the following documents are asked for with a personal loan application.
1). Address proof such as Passport, Aadhar Card, Voter Id card, Utility Bill etc.
2). Id Proof such as Pan Card. Voter Id card, Aadhar Card, Passport etc.
3).Income proof (Latest salary slips or IT returns filed)
4). Last 6 months’ account statement.
5). What impact can a personal loan have on my credit rating?
A personal loan may greatly upgrade or degrade your credit ratings depending upon how you go about your loan repayments. If you pay your loan EMIs on time regularly, it will improve your credit ratings, and any late payments or default will reflect negatively on your credit ratings. Credit ratings or score are important for any type of credit requirement in future and it is therefore important to keep your credit ratings in check even under pressing financial needs.
Once you decide to take a personal loan, make sure that you have proper answers to the 5 questions listed above and you have evaluated your needs and income flow properly before actually applying for the loan.
Personal loans are primarily meant for expenses that a person may not have anticipated or cannot afford at one go. It lets them spread out the cost over a period of several months with amounts that they can pay easily. Personal loans can fulfil various purposes such as a marriage, starting a business, medical expenses not covered by insurance, etc. They give the borrower a lot of flexibility in terms of how they wish to use the money.
Personal loans are given an unsecured loan, so the risk factor for the lender is high. Therefore, the interest rate on personal loans is relatively high when compared with other loans.
There are many factors that decide whether an individual’s loan is approved or not. The most important considered is the individual’s credit score. The credit rating tells the bank the financial behaviour of an individual including details such as the borrower’s track record of making repayment. A bad score and a poor credit history usually mean that the individual is not going to get approved. Therefore, it is imperative for an applicant to make sure they have a good credit score. A good credit score is virtually a must if you are looking for a low interest rate.
The market for personal loan is quite competitive with many private banks offering lucrative deals and offers. Some of the major players are SBI, PNB, ICICI, HDFC, and Standard Chartered. These are all reputed banks that give personal loans at low interest rates. Therefore, it becomes a hassle when one has to choose a bank for a personal loan. The information provided here will help you decide which bank to choose.
|Bank||Interest Rates||Where to Apply?|
|State Bank of India||Starting from 11.95%||Apply Online|
|Punjab National Bank||11.55% to 14.55%||Apply Online|
|HDFC Bank||15.75% to 20%||Apply Online|
|ICICI Bank||11.59% to 16.65%||Apply Online|
|Standard Chartered Bank||11.25% to 14.49%||Apply Online|
State Bank of India
India’s premier government-owned bank is also the largest bank in the country with more than 14,000 branches all over India. SBI gives personal loans at an interest rate starting at 11.95% for a period of up to 5 years. The loan amount starts at Rs. 50 thousand and extends to Rs. 15 lakh. A processing fee of 1% is charged on the total loan amount.
Punjab National Bank
Punjab National Bank is another premier state-owned bank with almost 7000 branches across India. PNB offer personal loans at interest rates starting at 11.55% to 14.55%. The tenure of the loan can be up to 60 months which works out to an approximate starting EMI of around Rs. 2,250 per lakh. A processing fee of 1.80% plus service tax is charged during the approval process.
The Housing Development Finance Corporation Bank is the second-largest private bank in the country. The bank offers interest rates of 15.75% to 20% per annum on HDFC personal loans. The amount borrowed can be in the range of Rs. 50 thousand to Rs. 15 lakh. The tenure of the loan can be between 12 and 60 months. This means that the EMI starts at around Rs. 2400 per lakh for the maximum period of 5 years. A processing fee of 2.50% of the total loan amount is levied on the borrower.
India’s largest private bank offers some of the lowest interest rates in the market for personal loans. ICICI charges an interest of 11.59% to 16.65% with tenures from 1 year and up to 5 years. The amount borrowed can be between Rs. 50 thousand to Rs. 15 lakh. The EMI starts at around Rs. 2,200 per lakh for the maximum tenure. A processing fee of up to 2% is also levied on the total amount borrowed.
Standard Chartered Bank is one of the few international banks that are quite popular for their personal loans. The bank offers personal loans at interest rates starting at 11.25% to a maximum of 14.49%. The maximum amount that can be borrowed is Rs. 30 lakh. The maximum tenure of their personal loans is 5 years. A major advantage with Standard Chartered is that they charge no processing fee for personal loans.
There are some requirements which can only be filled with the help of money and there is no specific loan for the same. If you have a medical emergency in your family or you have to manage some requirements of your home, you have to depend on personal loans. The loan can sponsor a trip or some business requirement. It can also be taken when you have some extra money requirement to run your family for some time. Just few years back, personal loan was the only way out to finance your special requirements but today you can also depend on gold loan. There is always a dilemma when choosing between the two.
Which loan is better to take?
- For gold loan, you need to have gold of good quality and that would be able to finance your requirements. This is very important to apply for gold loan because this cannot be processed without a security. However, for personal loan any such security is not required. However, the gold loan interest rate is lower than the personal loan, so your monthly expenditure on the interest will also be lower for gold loan. You don’t want to pay extra on loan because this will not yield any benefit what so ever.
- Gold loan application does not have eligibility criteria. If you have gold, you can apply for the loan and your amount will be approved based on the value of the loan and not your eligibility. Yes, every bank has a limit to the amount they can approve the loan for and that is how the loan amount is processed and approved. For personal loan, your income criteria are also quite important and everyone is not eligible for such a loan.
- The requirement of documentation is quite less in case of gold loan. You have to submit the gold and declare that the gold belongs to you. You will also need to present your pan card and bank details so that the money can be transferred. Your address will be verified by the bank in order to approve the loan. In case of personal loan, you need more documents, like your bank statement and income proof. Everyone is not provided the loan because they may not meet the eligibility criteria.
- The gold loan is processed within the shortest possible time because there is no hassle of income verification. On the other hand, you have to apply for the personal loan and wait for the approval from the bank’s side. The gold loan is even processed within an hour if the gold is in proper condition. So, if your gold can be verified, the loan will be approved without much delay. In case of any urgent requirement, gold loan is the fastest and ultimate option to trust.
- When you have taken advance from the bank against the gold, you will have the urge to pay it back in time. You will not miss the EMI for any month and there will not be much penalty. In personal loan, there is no mortgage. So, it is possible to miss the EMI and it may pile up to make the condition even worse.
There are so many conditions where you will require money to finance some needs on a urgent basis. You may not be eligible for a personal loan depending on the credit score or the previous loans you have taken. In all those cases, you can apply for a gold loan with the gold asset in your home. This is also given to the housewives who don’t have a proper source of income. That is why it is better to take gold loan than personal loan.
Loans are an easy way to fulfill financial liabilities such as your child’s education, their marriage, your much-anticipated vacation and a lot more. However, the banks have segregated the concept of loaning into various types. There are personal loans that you can use to fulfill your personal requirements or monitory contingencies. Moving on to the next loan categories, there are car loans and a home loan that allow one to buy a car and a home respectively without worrying about the expense. Gold loan is yet another significant concept that allows you to get instant money in exchange for your precious gold.
If you are planning to get a loan to fulfill your personal liabilities but are perplexed about which loan scheme to choose, it is advised to choose either a gold loan or a personal Loan. Both can be used to fulfill urgent financial needs but there are certain pros and cons of both that you need to know before filling up the loan application.
What is a personal loan?
A personal loan is one of many types of loans that can be borrowed from banks. It can be used to pay the consolidated debt, house renovation or any other unexpected expenditure. Personal loans are more difficult to get and have strict eligible requirements. To get a personal loan, you must know that:-
- Personal loan is unsecured loans
- A personal loan has fixed loan amount. The better your credit score and higher your income, the more money you can borrow
- The personal loan usually has fixed interest rates based on your credit score. The better your credit score, the lesser interest rate you’ll have to pay and vice versa
- A personal loan may affect your credit score. Therefore paying personal loan EMIs on time is the best way to keep your credit score unaffected
What is Gold loan?
As you might understand from the name, Gold loan is given against the gold. Many private and national banks, as well as other lending firms, offer this loan at attractively low interest rates. Many people get this loan for short term requirements to meet the needs of their children’s education, business expansion, child’s marriage and other emergency expenditures. Popular options include HDFC, Manappuram, Muthoot and SBI Gold Loan. Some key features of Gold loan include:-
- The gold loan does not require any other collateral except Gold. This makes easier for self-employed and unemployed people to get this loan.
- The gold loan involves no/less paperwork. Just an ID proof along with address proof is enough to get this loan.
- The gold loan has lower rate of interest (generally 12-16% per annum). It is far lesser than a personal loan that charges 15-26% interest rate per annum.
- The borrower gets the option of only paying interest during the loan tenure and at the end of the loan tenure, you have the option of paying off the remaining loan amount due in a single shot.
- Gold loan processing time is much shorter than other borrowing options.
- In rural areas Agricultural loan against gold is also available for agriculturist at very low rate of interest (7%-8%). However one needs to provide a proof of agricultural document to get the loan.
Gold loan vs. personal loan: Which is better?
Ideally, Gold loan is better than the personal loan as it offers faster processing, minimal documentation, zero pre-payment fees, and no EMI option. So now if you have a good amount of gold hoarded in your locker and you have immediate requirement of cash for your personal needs, it is good to make use of the gold instead of choosing personal loan option on higher interest rates.
Personal loans may come as an easy option to fulfill immediate financial needs such as the wedding of a son/daughter, medical disbursals, etc., but paying the loan debt can become a niggling situation for the borrower, esp. if the amount is huge. If you also find it difficult to repay your loans, you must follow the listed below strategies to manage your debt situation without stressing your wallet.
- Pay costly loans first: Personal loans have higher interest rates, so it is good to pay off this first to reduce your interest burden going forward. Start by paying the maximum amount you can afford without jeopardizing the repayment of the other loans. Once you have cleared the most expensive loan debt, start paying the next big loan.
- Pay higher EMI’s with increased income: Instead of paying fixed EMI’s every month till retirement, it is good to pay higher EMI’s whenever there is extra income flowing in to close the personal loan debt as soon as possible. Do not splurge on the latest mobile phone or newest range of the car. Use the money to pay down your personal debt aggressively. Extra cash flows such as maturity incomes from life insurance policies and income tax refunds can be used to pay off these loans.
- Don’t forget to save: It is good to pay higher EMI’s on a regular basis even though your personal loan interest rate may be low. But don’t forget to save some amount for future as well even when you are dealing with ill fate such as unemployment, sudden hospitalization, increased medical expenses, etc.
- Use current investments to repay debt: If your personal loan interest rate has increased significantly, you can liquidate your current investments to make the payment. You can borrow money from your life insurance policy or pay off your personal loan debt using your PPF balance. The PPF allows the depositor to take a loan against the balance from the third financial year of investment, and the same can be repaid within three years. The maximum loan one can take from PPF is up to 25% of the balance at the end of the previous year.
- Cut down expense on dinners and movies: When it comes to paying off the loan debt on time, making little amendments in your life can work wonders in keeping your finances in check. While we have so far discussed different ways with which you can reduce your loan burden, you also need to make some changes in your lifestyle to save money and pay higher EMIs. By making lifestyle changes we mean cutting down expenses on movie shows, dinner dates, weekend getaways, excess shopping, etc. You can also avoid using a credit card and instead make purchases with cash. This will automatically help you save big and pay the loan without much hassle. This change in lifestyle is needed until the time all the loan debts are paid.
- Lower your spending limit: You can also talk to your credit card company representative to lower down you spending limit. You must also avoid taking new loans until the time you repay the previous loan. If possible, try to automatically debit your repayment dues to your bank account. In this way, the loan amount will be deducted automatically on the due date and you will not be left with extra money to spend unnecessarily. Remember, making late payment impacts your credit score negatively and you are required to pay a late fee as well which means more money disbursal from your end.
- Get advice from debt counseling centers: If all the aforementioned ways fail to work in your favor, approach a debt counseling center. These centers offer free advice and effective ways to help borrowers pay off the personal loan debt.
These are numerous ways to manage your personal loan interest burden. In addition to this, you can even liquidate your assets such as jewelry, property, etc. and pay the loan.